Monday, December 29, 2008

Treasuring God’s Word in 2009


I enjoyed the movie, “National Treasure” with Nicholas Cage. In it Benjamin Franklin Gates (Nicholas Cage) seeks to unearth a hidden treasure that has been concealed for centuries as he follows baffling clues that ultimately lead him to discover this lost treasure that has been hidden beneath an ancient church. As I have reflected upon this film I cannot help but think we have the greatest treasure right before our eyes. It’s called, “The Bible.” Nothing on earth is more valuable than God’s Word. I wonder what would happen to us in 2009 if we would seek to discover the truth of God’s Word with the same relentless passion that Gates sought to discover his lost treasure.

With the turn of each New Year we are given an opportunity to think about how we want to make our life count. Let me assure you there is not a greater treasure on the face of this earth than the Bible. If we are going to make our life count than count on sinking into God’s Word this year. Yes, become a Bible saturated Christian and watch what God does with your life. Here is a thought I want you to consider—the Bible wasn’t given merely for it’s own inspiration, but for your inspiration. The Bible is meant to awaken our senses to the greatness of God. If we want God to be the blazing center of our life than we need to plunge into the treasure of God’s Word.

I will never forget the statement my Bible College professor once said while I was taking his class. It was one of those off the cuff remarks that shot right through my heart. He said, “The Bible is an organism, it’s the only book that you read that reads you.” Oh how that statement sunk into my soul! Hebrews 4:12 reminds us, “For the Word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.” As you read this verse can you feel it reading you? Can you sense the heat from the blade of God’s Word? It’s sharp. More than that, it cuts and it cuts deep.

R.C. Sproul the famous theologian was once approached by someone who said to him, “R.C. you make the Bible come alive.” R.C. quickly responded by saying, “No the Bible makes me come alive.” That statement belongs on shouting grounds. It’s a morsel worth digesting. No, we don’t make the Bible come alive—the Bible makes us come alive. So this year let me encourage you to take one lofty challenge you will never regret—the challenge of treasuring God’s Word by reading through the entire Bible this year. I assure you I have never met one person who said, “Man Bobby, I wish I didn’t read so much of the Bible.” No, I have never met such a person. But I have met plenty of people, including myself who have said, “I wish I read the Bible more.” Why? Because God’s Word is a treasure! If we want our lives to be marked by the treasure of God’s Word in 2009 than we need to start marking God’s Word. This is a great year to start. Thankfully, we don’t have to go treasure seeking, just treasure reading. Will you take the challenge? I promise you it’s one resolution you won’t regret.

Treasure reading with you,

Bobby

No comments: